The Message Board for the Philippine Printing Industry (Established 2007)

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Dark Pictures in Pagemaker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Archer

Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Some pictures in Pagemaker sent to us were very dark, I checked the link and the original pictures looked good. This happened when it was converted to CMYK. How to remedy this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flexoto

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:29 pm

The same thing happen when you convert RBG to CMYK in Corel. What I am doing is I keep it as RBG and let the separation house do the work. Somebody told me that you have to convert RBG to CMYK in Photoshop before importing it although i haven't tried it. Again, I am not an expert. Let's listen to the experts. Hey guys help us as this is also my problem. Maybe you have a better solution. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.printers-mart.com
ibler

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm

I am not an expert on this topic but here's what i learned through the years.

There are lot of factors to consider. Most will involve a thorough check of your color management system if you have one.

However, there is an easier way to do this. First off, convert the image to cmyk already. Import the image into pagemaker and link it to the original file. Do not embed the image so that pagemaker (and other pre press devices) will use the settings of the original file.

Also check your pagemaker color settings. There are a lot of profiles to choose from. Just pick out the best that works for you. It will also be helpful if the settings you use for pagemaker are also the settings you use in your other photo/image editing applications.

Question:
Did you print the file from pagemaker? How did the proof look like? Still dark?

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archer

Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 pm

The pictures were not embeded. Also, they were still as dark as they looked in pagemaker when we printed the proof.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
presstech

Number of posts : 256

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:04 pm

The answers to this problem will involve a whole seminar on color management. During the Mindanao Print 2007 and the Print and Labels Phil. 2007 exhibitions, there will be 2 seminars titled "Image Enhancement and Color Correction" and "Digital Prepress- Theory and Application" where problems like yours will be extensively discussed. Check the schedule and venue at the National Events Calendar in www.philprinting.com. The seminars are free.

Actually, the main reason why the images darkens at the press is due to Dot Gain. Dot gain is the increase in dot size in the final print of an image. Dot gain is an unavoidable and accepted fact of life in offset printing. It is measured at the midtone or 50% in our dot curve where the highest increase is always registered. For example, if the 50% area in the data image increases in value to 75% in the final print; then we can say that the dot gain of our press is 25%.

When we convert an image from rgb to cmyk in PhotoShop, the image on our screen darkens. This is because Photoshop gives us a preview of how the image will look like with a 20% dot gain which is the default dot gain value when PS is installed. (We can, of course, adjust this default value by going to the Color Setting menu.) When we see the darkened preview, we can then make the corresponding adjustments by lowering the midtone in the curve tool.

Color Separation houses can easily do a global adjustment for dot gain by using the rip software of their imagesetter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
presstech

Number of posts : 256

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:22 am

rempress wrote:
The same thing happen when you convert RBG to CMYK in Corel. What I am doing is I keep it as RBG and let the separation house do the work. Somebody told me that you have to convert RBG to CMYK in Photoshop before importing it although i haven't tried it. Again, I am not an expert. Let's listen to the experts. Hey guys help us as this is also my problem. Maybe you have a better solution. Very Happy

Rempress, the advice given to you is correct. You should use Photoshop to convert your rgb image to cmyk. When you convert the rgb to cmyk, you are actually color separating the image; since color separation is the process to separate an image into its primary subtractive colors(cmyk).

Before conversion, it is advisable to do do all the required image manipulations and color adjustments. This is so because, when PS converts the image to cmyk, it will apply the parameters that are set in the color setting. You can go to color setting at edit>color setting. Read the PS Help to know more about Color Setting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flexoto

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Thanks Presstech. This forum is really a great help especially to us who are less experience and never attended any printing seminar. I hope more people will join the forum to share their expertise and knowledge in different aspect in printing. It's a good source of information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.printers-mart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Pictures in Pagemaker   

Back to top Go down

Dark Pictures in Pagemaker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1