The Message Board for the Philippine Printing Industry (Established 2007)
 
HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Business Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
keystone



Number of posts : 6
Location : antipolo city and marikina city
Member since : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Business Tips   Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 am

Hi! Are you in printing business? Do you have any marketing tips or business advice for a more profitable printing shop? Can you share it with us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
presstech

avatar

Number of posts : 256
Age : 69
Location : Metro Manila
Member since : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:41 pm

I noticed that many companies doing well in the printing business have a focused market. These are companies who focus on certain sectors of the market or specialize on a particular product line.

Here are a few examples:
1. One company specializes in producing passbooks for banks. He has perfected the process so well that nobody can beat him in price and delivery speed.
2. Another company developed the production of jigsaw puzzles. He now produces and markets the Joytoy line of jigsaw puzzles and other printed toys.
3. Another company started only last year specialized in printing hang tags. The owner invested in small offset machines and other post press equipment that were suitable to this line. He is now expanding his production to include printing of ribbons.
4. Another company decided to specialize in numbered forms. His machines are small GTO and Hamada offsets with numbering and perforating attachments.
5. Another company focused on the pharma industry. When you visit his plant, all you see are products for that industry.
6. Another company prints sticker labels. His machines are label printing machines which print 4 colors, Laminate, diecut and gold stamp in one pass. Paglabas sa makina, ready for delivery.

I think that the idea of a (do it all) commercial printer is no longer practical now. Printers should decide on what type of product or market they want to focus on. They can then build their production line based on the type of product so that they don't need to buy too many equipment. After that they can develop the production expertise for that line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ibler



Number of posts : 112
Location : cebu
Member since : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:56 pm

I agree with presstech 110%. The only way to survive is to find your own niche in the market. It's very difficult to do so but there will defnitely be rewards at the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keystone



Number of posts : 6
Location : antipolo city and marikina city
Member since : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks for replying. Is it advisable to hire a marketing officer or sales agent?
How much is the current salary rate or commission?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miyags



Number of posts : 3
Location : Davao City
Member since : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:10 pm

presstech wrote:
I noticed that many companies doing well in the printing business have a focused market. These are companies who focus on certain sectors of the market or specialize on a particular product line.

Here are a few examples:
1. One company specializes in producing passbooks for banks. He has perfected the process so well that nobody can beat him in price and delivery speed.
2. Another company developed the production of jigsaw puzzles. He now produces and markets the Joytoy line of jigsaw puzzles and other printed toys.
3. Another company started only last year specialized in printing hang tags. The owner invested in small offset machines and other post press equipment that were suitable to this line. He is now expanding his production to include printing of ribbons.
4. Another company decided to specialize in numbered forms. His machines are small GTO and Hamada offsets with numbering and perforating attachments.
5. Another company focused on the pharma industry. When you visit his plant, all you see are products for that industry.
6. Another company prints sticker labels. His machines are label printing machines which print 4 colors, Laminate, diecut and gold stamp in one pass. Paglabas sa makina, ready for delivery.

I think that the idea of a (do it all) commercial printer is no longer practical now. Printers should decide on what type of product or market they want to focus on. They can then build their production line based on the type of product so that they don't need to buy too many equipment. After that they can develop the production expertise for that line.

Hi presstech
I am from Davao, I am planning to focus on one market. currently we have a 2 color komori and some 1 color japanese printing machines, We cater mostly forms and some brochure.
I want to focus on yrbooks this yr. but unfortunately we dont have an imagesetter.
Do you have any idea on wat other market, I can serve? , it seams that imagesetting is important. and if, I invest on imagesetter, I really doubt the capability of my komori. Do you have any suppliers, that can go down here in dvo. and recondition machines Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
presstech

avatar

Number of posts : 256
Age : 69
Location : Metro Manila
Member since : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:00 pm

miyags wrote:

Hi presstech
I am from Davao, I am planning to focus on one market. currently we have a 2 color komori and some 1 color japanese printing machines, We cater mostly forms and some brochure.
I want to focus on yrbooks this yr. but unfortunately we dont have an imagesetter.
Do you have any idea on wat other market, I can serve? , it seams that imagesetting is important. and if, I invest on imagesetter, I really doubt the capability of my komori. Do you have any suppliers, that can go down here in dvo. and recondition machines Smile

I personally know some companies that specialize in yearbooks; and they seem to be doing alright in this line.

You are right in assuming that you will need an imagesetter because all yearbooks are now digitally designed. Due to the large number of pages, the cost of outsourcing your film output will be high; especially considering the fact that there are no dedicated service bureaus in Davao.

It would be difficult for me to recommend what market is suitable; because I don't know the market situation in your area.

Regarding your machines, I used to import and recondition offset machines from Japan during the 90's; so I know and can recommend some mechanics and electricians who are experienced in Japanese brands like Komori, Akiyama, Kobundo, Ryobi, Hamada, Shinohara, Mitsubishi and Hashimoto. Did I name them all? Haha! I can find out if any of them can service in Davao.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GOR



Number of posts : 31
Location : Philippines
Member since : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 pm

1] Would a mini-offset be good enough to do the yearbooks and brochures?

2] Have you guys heard of the Knight Offset machine made by Autoprint in India? Any feedback?

3] Would a brandnew Knight Offset (max print area = 14"x19") be a good buy compared to used Solna or Komori or other brands? Quote for Autoprint Knight single color during an exhibit last year was Php1.8M.

Thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
presstech

avatar

Number of posts : 256
Age : 69
Location : Metro Manila
Member since : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:21 pm

GOR wrote:
1] Would a mini-offset be good enough to do the yearbooks and brochures?
2] Have you guys heard of the Knight Offset machine made by Autoprint in India? Any feedback?
3] Would a brandnew Knight Offset (max print area = 14"x19") be a good buy compared to used Solna or Komori or other brands? Quote for Autoprint Knight single color during an exhibit last year was Php1.8M.
Thanks in advance Smile

Hi GOR! These are my views on your 3 questions.
1. A 2-ups (mini) offset can definitely be used to print full color yearbooks and brochures; but this would depend on the specifications of the machine. I used to have a Sakurai Oliver 258 and Hashimoto B3-2. Both 2-color machines were 15 x 21 (2-up) size; but had features of bigger machines such as robust side and front lays, lots of ink rollers and good paper handling. Make ready time was very fast and only one person was needed to run each machine. I used them to run color brochures and magazines. The Heidelberg GTO is another example of a mini offset that good beat some of the bigger machines in quality and performance.

2. I've seen the Knight Offset; but have no experience to comment on it.

3. With P1.8 M I would rather buy 2 second hand (used abroad) high-end mini 2-color offset like the Sakurai or Hashimoto. Or I would buy a second hand (used abroad) 4-up 2-color Komori Sprint, Akiyama Hi-Ace or Fuji 266 with money to spare for a folding machine and gang stitcher.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GOR



Number of posts : 31
Location : Philippines
Member since : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 am

Great! Thank you Sir presstech.

So with P1.8M I can buy that ... and that ... and still have that ... Laughing Wow!!! Now I just need to find out where to get P1.8M Rolling Eyes Where's the nearest lotto outlet? Wink

Seriously, now I have better options. I only have some reservation with second hand machines -- this apply to any machine. Some say that when you buy 2nd hand machines, you also buy or inherit the problems that comes with its age (wear and tear). What can you say about this? Well, off course even with brand new we can still get "lemons."

I wish I have the money to buy brand new machines but I don't.

presstech wrote:
GOR wrote:
1] Would a mini-offset be good enough to do the yearbooks and brochures?
2] Have you guys heard of the Knight Offset machine made by Autoprint in India? Any feedback?
3] Would a brandnew Knight Offset (max print area = 14"x19") be a good buy compared to used Solna or Komori or other brands? Quote for Autoprint Knight single color during an exhibit last year was Php1.8M.
Thanks in advance Smile

Hi GOR! These are my views on your 3 questions.
1. A 2-ups (mini) offset can definitely be used to print full color yearbooks and brochures; but this would depend on the specifications of the machine. I used to have a Sakurai Oliver 258 and Hashimoto B3-2. Both 2-color machines were 15 x 21 (2-up) size; but had features of bigger machines such as robust side and front lays, lots of ink rollers and good paper handling. Make ready time was very fast and only one person was needed to run each machine. I used them to run color brochures and magazines. The Heidelberg GTO is another example of a mini offset that good beat some of the bigger machines in quality and performance.

2. I've seen the Knight Offset; but have no experience to comment on it.

3. With P1.8 M I would rather buy 2 second hand (used abroad) high-end mini 2-color offset like the Sakurai or Hashimoto. Or I would buy a second hand (used abroad) 4-up 2-color Komori Sprint, Akiyama Hi-Ace or Fuji 266 with money to spare for a folding machine and gang stitcher.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
presstech

avatar

Number of posts : 256
Age : 69
Location : Metro Manila
Member since : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 am

GOR wrote:
Great! Thank you Sir presstech.

So with P1.8M I can buy that ... and that ... and still have that ... Laughing Wow!!! Now I just need to find out where to get P1.8M Rolling Eyes Where's the nearest lotto outlet? Wink
Seriously, now I have better options. I only have some reservation with second hand machines -- this apply to any machine. Some say that when you buy 2nd hand machines, you also buy or inherit the problems that comes with its age (wear and tear). What can you say about this? Well, off course even with brand new we can still get "lemons."
I wish I have the money to buy brand new machines but I don't.

It's always the best to have a brand new machine. However, with our financial constraints, we often have to make do with second hand machines.

In buying second hand machines, I suggest you buy one that was used in developed countries abroad. Buying a machine that was used locally is risky, because machines are normally sold by companies here because they are already difficult to maintain and are giving headaches to the owner. When I was importing machines from Japan, they usually arrived in good condition; because most Japanese printers at the time disposed of their machines in order to upgrade to newer models. Because of high salaries of operators, the machines were maintained in god condition to maximize the operators' time.

I suggest that you buy from an importer/dealer with good reputation. It's also advisable to have the machine checked by a trusted technician before closing the deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GOR



Number of posts : 31
Location : Philippines
Member since : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Sat May 03, 2008 12:01 am

Again, another great info from Sir presstech! If ever I get around setting up my print shop and into the buying mode, I'll definitely NEED your help Sir! Wink
presstech wrote:
GOR wrote:
Great! Thank you Sir presstech.

So with P1.8M I can buy that ... and that ... and still have that ... Laughing Wow!!! Now I just need to find out where to get P1.8M Rolling Eyes Where's the nearest lotto outlet? Wink
Seriously, now I have better options. I only have some reservation with second hand machines -- this apply to any machine. Some say that when you buy 2nd hand machines, you also buy or inherit the problems that comes with its age (wear and tear). What can you say about this? Well, off course even with brand new we can still get "lemons."
I wish I have the money to buy brand new machines but I don't.

It's always the best to have a brand new machine. However, with our financial constraints, we often have to make do with second hand machines.

In buying second hand machines, I suggest you buy one that was used in developed countries abroad. Buying a machine that was used locally is risky, because machines are normally sold by companies here because they are already difficult to maintain and are giving headaches to the owner. When I was importing machines from Japan, they usually arrived in good condition; because most Japanese printers at the time disposed of their machines in order to upgrade to newer models. Because of high salaries of operators, the machines were maintained in god condition to maximize the operators' time.

I suggest that you buy from an importer/dealer with good reputation. It's also advisable to have the machine checked by a trusted technician before closing the deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
msprinter



Number of posts : 3
Location : qc
Member since : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a relatively new medium scale printer. I just wanted to know what the norm is with regard to Return on Assets in our industry. I'm trying to ascertain if we are on the right track and are competitive with our peers in the industry. thank you.

Ms. printer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Business Tips   

Back to top Go down
 
Business Tips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Tips for creating wealth in secondary market
» Tips for investors to invest in Colombo Stock Exchange
» Sri Lanka Com Bank gets foreign loan for small business lending
» Top corporate performers felicitated at the Business Today's Top 20
» Doing Business-2012-Sri Lanka rose nine places in the global ranking to 89,

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Filipino Printers Forum :: Printing in General :: The Printing Industry in the Philippines-
Jump to: